Modern medicine is certainly a wonder, but it’s also wonderful to know what the best Manuka honey can do for you! Lesser known than other varieties, Manuka honey hails solely from New Zealand. That is simply because of a certain Manuka bush that grows only in that part of the globe. The bees pollinate these bushes and produce Manuka honey, which contains several medicinal benefits.
When used right, the best Manuka honey is great as a health or digestive supplement as well as a skincare product. It’s also a natural remedy for several health issues such as colds, coughs, or even the flu. However, you should also know about its side effects and use it moderately.
With many people looking towards alternative sources of medicine, this substance is in high demand today. However, many brands are claiming to have the best strain of Manuka honey, with the prices climbing as we speak. So which one is the best and how do we make a decision?
About Unique Manuka Factor (UMF) And Why It Matters
Not all kinds of honey are the same, and even the best Manuka honey may have its ups and downs. The anti-bacterial qualities of this honey depend on the area it grows in, with the weather, soil, kind of blossom, and sunlight all playing an important role. In order to make sure you’re getting a potent, effective health remedy, you should check out the UMF or Unique Manuka Factor of the jar first.
The UMF of Manuka honey is a measure of how potent it is. The potency determines how effective the substance actually is in treating all kinds of health issues. A UMF of 5 is pretty potent, while 10 is very good indeed. UMF is a grading system that was developed in New Zealand by their UMF Honey Association.
At the most, though, your Manuka honey should have a UMF of no more than 20, with the ideal range between 10 and 18. Any lower than that and the honey might not be effective for certain medical conditions. Any higher, and it may cause sensitivity in some people.
Other Grading Systems For Choosing The Best Manuka Honey
While many of the most famous brands (Manukora, Comvita, Happy Valley, etc.) use the UMF system, others use alternative systems such as the MGO rating or the KFactor. We’ll discuss these in some detail below:
The MGO System
Many of the best Manuka honey brands also give their rating based on the amount of Methylglyoxal their product contains. The minimum count here is 83. Honey with a UMP rating of 20 or more will have an MGO rating of around 829.
The Manuka Healthy company uses the MGO rating, which was a development of Professor Thomas Henle about a decade ago. As the ruling goes, MGO could be present in Manuka honey from 10 milligrams per gram to 1,000 milligrams per kilogram. Having 100 milligrams of MGO in a kilogram indicates that the honey contains antibacterial properties. That is essential if the specific brand of honey claims to have any medicinal benefit at all.
The MGO system also measures the amount of Non-Peroxide Activity or NPA in the honey. That refers to antibacterial properties that are beyond the normal healing abilities of regular honey. The higher this level, the more you’re sure of getting the best Manuka honey.
The third grading system for Manuka honey is the KFactor method. This system is the one that is independent of MGO or UMF, which do have some connection to each other. However, KFactor is a system that the company Wedderspoon used and has the approval of the Ministry for Primary Industries in New Zealand. The company isn’t just known for its honey products, but also its scientific research. This research has contributed a lot to innovations in this field.
The grading system here looks not at levels of MGO or MPA, but the purity level, live enzymes, chemical compounds, pollen count, antioxidant levels, DHA, phenolic compounds, and pH levels. All of this combined gives a number, of which the ideal range is between 18 and 22 for the best Manuka honey available on the market. That signifies superior healing abilities.
The KFactor range between 14 and 18 is also great for healing, with moderately high antibacterial activity. A KFactor ranging from 8 to 14 provides a medium benefit that serves to maintain a decent health level. However, a KFactor level below eight means the Manuka honey isn’t of any special benefit and is replaceable with regular honey.
The overall pricing of Manuka honey is quite high, with prices varying slightly according to the brand you get. The medicinal properties, overwhelming popularity, and relative rareness of this honey make it quite an expensive purchase. The higher grades of Manuka honey are available within the price range of $$ and $$$, while the relatively lower grades, but still decent brands, have pricing that ranges from $ to $$.
How We Reviewed
We’ve reviewed the following brands of the best Manuka honey by looking at several of their features. While the price range does differ, we’ve taken care to include each of the leading brands on the market.
The selection pool also includes honey rated according to the three main systems — UMF, MGO, and KFactor. We may determine the quality of what we’re considering and make a wise, informed decision at the end of the day. The items are also best for different health issues, so you can easily determine your final choice based on your individual needs as well.
10 Best Manuka Honey Brands
We now come to the best Manuka honey selections available in 2019. Remember, these may not always be in season, so you should conduct your research about their availability and buy according.
- NATURE MEETS SCIENCE: MGO 400+ is deliciously smooth and expertly crafted to naturally support general wellness; Featured for its quality and potency on Good Morning America.
- NEW ZEALAND BORN: Our master beekeepers and bees are key to preserving the quality and natural properties of our Manuka honey.
The Manuka Health option is a 100 percent New Zealand honey and has an MGO of 400+. That makes its antibacterial activity quite high, making it excellent for treating many conditions.
The reviews confirm that this is true. Out of many similar stories, one mother stated that her son’s eczema started looking much better within just 12 hours of applying the honey to his inflamed skin. If one wants to eat it, they’re in for a treat with that smooth, delicious flavor. If you’re applying it externally, though, things might get a bit messy.
Manuka Health has gained a respectable 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon. The price range is between $ and $$. That might seem expensive, but its MGO level is among the highest you can go for.
WildCape Manuka Honey
- AUTHENTIC UMF 5+ certified manuka honey is the only single source UMF Manuka honey harvested exclusively from the untouched East Cape region of New Zealand
- CERTIFIED Beware of honeys that only claim to be manuka but don't show a UMF certified rating. UMF stands for Unique Manuka Factor and was established by the UMF Honey Association of New Zealand, of which WildCape is a member (Licence # 1075)
WildCape Manuka honey has a UMF 15+ certification, which places it right in the ideal range. It’s a known company that makes some of the best Manuka honey the world has ever seen. Other forms of Manuka honey could be bitter at times, but this one is always sweet and mild which is still healthy.
Another excellent feature here is that the Manuka honey is ethically harvested, leaving the honeycomb wax intact for the bees to fill without bother. The BPA-free honey jars are just the cherry on top. While it may take some time to show effect, the taste is considered excellent and robust.
The WildCape Manuka honey got a decent Amazon rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars. The price ranges from $ to $$.
Bee’s Inn Manuka Honey
- Manuka Honey UMF 15+ 250g. Lab-Certified UMF 15+ Manuka Honey from New Zealand by a New Zealand Independent Laboratory. Each Manuka Honey batch is Independently Verified, Tested, Traceable and Licensed.
- BEEKEEPERS Bee’s Inn are Genuine New Zealand Beekeepers. They produce licensed UMF Manuka Honey. They are from New Zealand’s North Island just South of Hamilton, NZ. Hamilton, NZ is about a 2 hour drive South of Auckland, NZ.
Bee’s Inn also sells some of the best Manuka honey in the world. They have a UMF certified brand with UMF 10+ and produce some of the purest raw honey ever.
There have been some complaints about the flavor here, but that’s probably because this medical grade takes some getting used to.
Users will love the rawness and GMO-free aspect of this honey. The best part is that you only need a tiny bit in order for it to make a difference. That will definitely help in making the jar last as long as possible. The smooth, creamy taste might make it difficult otherwise!
This honey has gathered an impressive rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars, with the price range starting at $ and going up to $$.
Manukora Raw Mānuka Honey
- AUTHENTIC RAW MANUKA HONEY: With its medicinal properties and health benefits, Manukora UMF 20+/MGO 830+, non-GMO Mānuka honey is nature's greatest gift to support everyday wellness. This natural honey comes in a gift worthy box, making it the perfect present for yourself or someone special.
- UMF & MGO CERTIFIED: Manukora is a licensed UMF Assocation member, the only independent organization that verifies the purity and quality of Mānuka honey products. All Manukora products are MGO certified and our premium Mānuka honey products are also UMF certified.
This Manukora variety is raw, with a UMF of 20+ and an MGO of 830+. This combination means that this version is the best Manuka honey could have. You may look forward to some excellent uses for this little treat.
This brand is among the best Manuka honey for the sheer taste, even though some might find it a bit medicinal. The color is also a beautiful dark-shaded caramel. While the jar may seem small for the price, it will hopefully last more than a month if you use it properly. People have used this for colds, sore throats, and even to prevent such issues entirely.
This honey gets an Amazon rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars. The price is quite a steep, ranging from $ to $$$.
- CERTIFIED UMF 15+ (MGO 514+) Super Premium Grade Raw Manuka Honey comes from the nectar of the Manuka flower in the pristine forests of New Zealand. Comvita is the leader, offering Raw, Wild, Unpasteurized, Non-GMO Project Verified, and Certified Gluten-Free Manuka Honey.
- BENEFITS Manuka Honey is one of nature’s powerful wonders, revered by naturopathic doctors, nutritionists and elite athletes. Manuka is the world’s most researched honey, containing plant-derived compounds with unique health properties, natural pollens and enzymes, beneficial oligosaccharides and prebiotics, and amino acids.
Comvita produces one of the best Manuka honey options that’s certified UMF 15+ and MGO 514+. Both of these are impressive ratings, which shouldn’t be surprising considering this company is among the leading Manuka honey dealers.
This honey is medical-grade, with a sterilized strain and effective antibacterial properties. The company’s products are in wide circulation among medical organizations, especially for treating burns. This honey brand gets an Amazon rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars with a price range starting from $ and going up to $$. You may find the pricing higher because of the medical grade of the product.
Kiva Raw Manuka Honey
- UMF 15+ certified RAW Manuka Honey - equivalent to methylgloxal (MGO 514+)
- GENUINE MANUKA HONEY: Harvested from the remote and pristine hills, forest, and coastal areas of New Zealand
This Kiva Raw Manuka Honey is certified UMF 20+, making it among the highest antibacterial choices on this list. That means that it’s great for treating sinus infections, inflammation, and several other health issues. The MGO count is 825+, which is also the highest here.
Since the honey itself is from New Zealand, we know that it’s the genuine deal. There’s even a certification number on each jar that you may verify from its official website. The taste is reported to be different from other offerings, but it depends on how quickly you develop that specific taste.
The Amazon rating for this raw honey is 4.6 out of 5 stars. The price is between $ and $$ for a jar. The high UMF rating is probably the reason behind this cost, as it contains several healing agents.
Wedderspoon 100% Raw Manuka Honey
Wedderspoon gives us honey that’s both processed and packaged in New Zealand, which assures us of the product’s authenticity. It’s also a non-pasteurized, raw form that should retain all the natural benefits. It has a decent rating of 16 according to the KFactor system, with a non-GMO feature to boot. The best part is that you can use it for adding flavors to your favorite meals, combating colds, or just for making it a part of your skincare regimen.
This company has been around for more than a decade and is known to follow the KFactor system instead of UMF or MGO ratings. This system takes several factors into account, which is probably better for determining a honey’s pollen level. The Amazon rating for Wedderspoon honey is 4.3 out of 5 stars. That is a heartening factor, along with the relatively low price ranging from $ to $$.
Manuka Doctor Bio Active Honey
Manuka Doctor Bio Active Honey has a 24+ rating, not of the UMF, but the BioActivity or the peroxide activity within it. The label might confuse some, but a close reading should clear everything up. This tiny jar contains an excellent source of energy, so you can get it as a pick-me-up especially when you’re feeling low.
Overall, this honey is best for those who need the antioxidants to visit the gym or simply rejuvenate yourself after a long day. It will also work well for wounds, cuts, or bacterial fevers. The best use of this honey seems to be for skin problems, especially cystic acne.
Manuka Doctor has a nice Amazon rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars. The price is also within a decent range of $ to $$.
Happy Valley UMF 15+ Manuka Honey
- QUALITY UMF 15+ manuka honey from the pristine native forests of New Zealand is lab-certified to UMF 15+ standard, which certifies the honey meets strict quality criteria. We carry the UMF Quality Trademark and the Fernmark to provide assurance itâ€s a NZ Made product. Each batch is individually tested by an independent laboratory to certify its UMF rating. Happy Valley publishes its lab test results, which means you can be certain you are getting honey of the quality and rating on its label
- UNIQUE MANUKA FACTOR - UMF is the association of New Zealand honey producers that governs the manuka honey UMF rating system specifically to protect consumers from being misled by the many honey labels making claims to be 'active' or 'bio-active' without achieving UMF manuka honey standards. As a UMF Member we uphold the quality measures and testing regimes required to be use the premium quality and grading system on our Manuka Products
Happy Valley Manuka Honey comes in 250 or 500-gram containers, with a thick texture, a pleasant after-taste, and a beautiful golden-brown shade. It’s UMF 15+ and MGO 510+, which places it on one of the highest quality levels.
You’ll get a medicinal yet sweet taste here, which is only to be expected. Since Happy Valley is a member of the UMF association, we can rest assured that its products are compliant with the strictest guidelines. This Manuka honey has a decent Amazon rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars. It’s available within the price range of $ and $$ for a 250-gram jar, Happy Valley is one of the slightly more expensive options on this list.
Airborne Manuka Honey
- HONEST: details on each jar include pollen count, batch numbers, and active ingredients (lab tested)
- UNDAMAGED: most pure, natural, and raw honey; very minimal heat damage maintains honey's unique properties
The Airborne company wants to give its customers some nice health benefits without the need for OTC medication. As the Maori tribe used Manuka flowers for medicine to deal with colds and fevers, it only makes sense that honey from the same flowers has similar benefits.
Airborne may have a medicinal taste, but you’ll soon get used to it. After all, it’s not for recreational eating but health purposes. The NPA is between 8 and 12, which means it retains its natural antibacterial properties. The pollen count is 70+, which further assures us that this is genuine, pure, and raw honey. Plus, every jar has the pollen count, batch number, and active ingredients on its label.
Airborne Manuka Honey has a respectable 4.2 out of 5 stars, while the price range is actually quite reasonable. You can get this brand for $ to $$ for a whole jar.
The Best Manuka Honey Brand That Deserves Your Attention
Each of the best Manuka honey brands certainly deserves a try, but their high prices make us pick and choose. If you’re searching for the very best of the lot in all factors, we’ll recommend the Wedderspoon option. It isn’t too expensive but still has a high KFactor rating.
Wondering if this brand will work for you? You’ll only know after trying it out!