Only 5 percent of adults consume the recommended level of dietary fiber. Choosing the best fiber supplement can help you get the fiber you need for a healthier, happier life.
Without enough fiber, you might experience problems ranging from constipation to weight gain. Fiber is an important part of the human diet, and has been for thousands of years. However, modern diets often lack the whole grains, veggies, and fruits that provide crucial fiber sources.
If you’ve been gaining weight, feeling sluggish or tired, or simply not eating healthy enough lately, it’s time to invest in the best fiber supplement for you. Everyone’s health needs are different, and choosing the best supplement depends on the individual. That’s why we’ve highlighted a wide variety of powerful supplements here -- keep reading to choose the best one for you.
Everything You Need to Know About the Best Fiber Supplement
In a perfect world, everyone would get the fiber they need from the food they eat. But a high-quality supplement can make up for what your diet might be lacking. What sets some supplements apart from the rest?
First, make sure to check the sugar content of your fiber supplements. While it’s great to use a flavored supplement that tastes good, some of them come with more sugar than you should have. Look for sugar-free or low-sugar options instead. You can also take unflavored products, like pills, to avoid sugar altogether.
Also, make sure to check the source of the fiber in your supplements. Some people prefer natural sources, while others might have a sensitivity to some fiber sources, like wheat. It’s important to know what’s in your supplements.
Finally, soluble and insoluble fiber supplements work a bit differently. Soluble fiber is best for people with issues like irritable bowel syndrome, while insoluble fiber works well to combat constipation.
How We Reviewed
To put together our list of the best fiber supplement options, we focused on variety. Different fiber forms and sources work better for different people. You’ll find just about every type of fiber supplement the market has to offer represented on this list.
We also looked at consumer ratings, as well as prices, to choose the best supplements to feature. High ratings are important, but fiber supplements also don’t need to break the bank.
Overall Price of Fiber Supplements
The sources of fiber in supplements, like wheat or psyllium husks, don’t cost much. So there’s no reason for fiber supplements to cost much, either.
Your body doesn’t store fiber for future use. Fiber simply helps your digestive tract work better. While this task is important, it doesn’t make sense to pay a lot for something that’s just going to move through your digestive system.
You can try most fiber supplements for a very low price, making it very cost effective to test out a few things until you find out what works for you. High prices rarely translate to higher quality in the world of fiber supplements, so avoid anything that costs you a lot (unless you’re looking for specific specialty ingredients).
The Best Fiber Supplements for You
Now, let’s delve into some of our favorite fiber supplements on the market.
If you’re looking for a basic, unflavored fiber pill, these Fibercon supplements are a great place to start.
Many people found success with this supplement in a short amount of time, and only a few reviewers didn't like it. However, the large pills can be off-putting to some, so you might want to steer clear if you have a hard time swallowing pills.
Some people prefer to drink their fiber. If that sounds like you, you might want to try a dissolvable supplement, like this option from Benefiber.
This supplement doesn’t contain sugar or flavor, so you can put it in just about any drink you can imagine. While it’s a little bit more expensive than some of our choices, many people love the convenient format.
Most reviewers found it effective and easy to use. A lot of the negative reviews focus on the price -- and to be fair, there are many cheaper options out there.
- VEGAN FIBER: Our RAW fiber contains 9g of fiber per serving (36% DV) along with 7 grams of protein, probiotics, and omega 3 fatty acids for overall health
- SUPERFOOD FIBER: RAW fiber is made with 15 RAW organic superfoods, including sprouted seeds, grains and legumes
“Superfood” is a buzzword that gets lots of attention -- but does it mean anything when it comes to fiber?
Garden of Life’s fiber supplement sources from organic ingredients like grains, legumes, and sprouted seeds. It is a reasonable price for any fiber product. It comes in a flavored powder form that mixes to a thick beverage, kind of like a protein shake.
A lot of them were happy with both the taste and the results. However, some people weren’t so happy to discover that the product contains artificial sweeteners.
For some people, the best fiber supplement will taste like candy. Yummi Bears turned their fiber into gummy-bear form to make it both fun and easy to take. It doesn't cost much to give this supplement a try.
Many people find the product especially helpful for kids who need more fiber in their diets. However, quite a few customers noted that the package arrived with a melted blob of gummy bears inside, making it effectively useless.
For a more basic source of fiber in powdered form, this psyllium fiber supplement does the trick.
Psyllium fiber comes from plant husks, and appears to have some health benefits beyond providing fiber. That makes it the best fiber supplement for many people who want a natural fiber source.
Many people love it for all the benefits psyllium has to offer, and the fact that it’s flavorless makes it easy to add to other drinks. Aside from those who dislike the taste, it’s hard to find a critical review of this product.
- The #1 Gastroenterologist recommended prebiotic fiber brand (tablets and gummies). (Alpha ImpactRx Provoice Survey (June 2019).
- Made with inulin, a prebiotic fiber found in many fruits and vegetables, that helps support regularity.
Fruits and vegetables provide fiber through insulin. These supplements source their fiber from insulin in a chewable tablet form that’s much easier than getting multiple servings of fruits and veggies.
The taste is hit and miss with reviewers -- most bad reviews focus on the taste. A few noted that the tablets didn’t work for them, but many found success with this product.
NorCal offers another psyllium husk fiber option that’s organic and blends with both soluble and insoluble fiber. For some people, the best fiber supplement has both types of fiber.
A number of people noted that it’s easy to mix with their beverages, and does what they need it to do. A few people didn’t have great results with it, but what works well for some people won’t work for everyone. Lots of individual factors can affect how well a fiber source works for you.
- NUTRISOURCE FIBER SUPPLEMENT POWDER: One serving of this unflavored fiber powder has 3 g of soluble fiber from partially hydrolyzed guar gum to support digestive health & bowel management.
- SOLUABLE FIBER SUPPLEMENT: This unflavored, powdered soluble fiber supplement from partially hydrolyzed guar gum easily mixes into protein shakes, other soft foods, liquids, or can be administered through a feeding tube.
Companies are always trying to find ways to make practical nutrition more exciting. For some people, Fiber One’s fiber brownies might be the best fiber supplement, because they'll never forget to take it.
They’re easy to take, and most consumers like the taste. They’re also great for kids who need fiber. Most of the negative reviews state not liking the taste. But then again, it seems hard to expect a fiber brownie to be the best brownie of your life.
- PREBIOTIC FIBER: Our 100% organic acacia senegal powder may help ease IBS-related constipation & diarrhea.* This whole food fiber prebiotic can assist with the growth of good bacteria in the gut.*
- FORMULATED FOR IBS: Soluble fiber may help support bowel motility, which can help IBS-related diarrhea & constipation.* Designed to slow colonic fermentation which may decrease gas & bloating.*
This powdered fiber option uses acacia Senegal as a natural, organic fiber source. This plant is said to increase healthy gut flora, as well as providing fiber. Acacia is the best fiber supplement for most people with IBS and all the sensitivities that come with it.
People with IBS found it incredibly helpful for treating their difficult symptoms. While some reviewers found that it didn’t work as well for them, most were glad they at least gave it a try.
If you need affordable, simple fiber options, Kirkland Signature’s powder might offer what you need. Making this one of the more cost-effective powdered fiber options.
Many people love the price and the lack of flavor since it blends well with other drinks. However, the reviewers who didn’t like it found that it was hard to dissolve sometimes, and had a sweetness that some found unpleasant.
- FEEL WHAT LIGHTER FEELS LIKE by trapping and removing the waste that weighs you down by making Metamucil a part of your daily fiber routine.*
- TRAPS AND REMOVES THE WASTE THAT WEIGHS YOU DOWN. Metamucil works by helping you feel lighter and more energetic**
Metamucil is an old standby in the fiber supplement industry, and these basic fiber capsules still found a place on our list of top supplements. Sometimes the best fiber supplement isn’t the most innovative: it’s the one that works.
A lot of people like taking their fiber in capsule form, since it lets them avoid sugar and other additives. You do need to take a lot of pills to get results, though. That makes it inconvenient for those who don’t like taking pills, and more expensive than it’s worth for others.
- INTESTINAL HEALTH*/HELPS MAINTAIN REGULARITY*: Psyllium has the ability to swell up to 50 times its initial volume when added to liquid. This bulking action can play an important role in maintaining regularity and gastrointestinal health.*
- NATURAL SOLUBLE FIBER: Surveys have shown that the fiber content of the American diet is typically about half of government recommended levels. NOW Psyllium Husk capsules can be a convenient way to increase the intake of dietary fiber.*
Some reviewers had to experiment to find the right dosage for them, but most liked the product. However, while it worked well for some, others found no success with these capsules.
If you like the gummy vitamin concept, Vitafusion’s fiber gummies might be the best fiber supplement for you.
In addition to helping with fiber, some people saw positive results in terms of weight loss and even cholesterol levels. However, as with other gummy products, some reviewers noted that the package came melted.
- SUPER DISCOUNT, TODAY ONLY! - Buy two or more bottles and receive up to 15% discount on your purchase!
- MAINTAINS REGULARITY AND PREVENTS CONSTIPATION - When combined with water, pysllium husk forms a gel (that is naturally gluten free!) that can help to keep the bowels regular and is far more gentle – and natural – than using a laxative.
These psyllium capsules set themselves apart by offering more fiber per capsule so that you can take fewer pills. It is a good deal, especially since the capsules have more potency.
which shows that most people loved this product. It works well for a lot of people with the issues caused by low fiber. However, some negative reviewers note that they got no results from it. For some people, different forms like powders seem to work better than capsules, which is why it’s good to try multiple products.
- POWERFUL PSYLLIUM HUSK CAPSULES: Psyllium Husk is a source of fiber. Often referred to as a “colon cleanser,” Psyllium Husk fiber helps support regularity, intestinal health and digestive health. Our Psyllium Husk capsules offer an easy and convenient way to use Psyllium Husk.
- HELPS SUPPORT DIGESTION, INTESTINAL HEALTH & REGULARITY: Psyllium Husk supplements are an effective and quick way to add important fiber to your diet. When combined with water, pysllium husk forms a gel that can help to keep the bowels regular and helps support digestive health.
Sunergetic offers another way to take psyllium fiber in capsule form. The price is comparable to NutriONN’s capsules.
These capsules also work well for a lot of people. As with many of the fiber products here, the reviews split between those who say it works, and those who say it doesn’t. But the people who found success with these capsules outnumber the ones who didn’t by a long shot.
If you’re interested in a different way to take psyllium fiber, why not try whole husks instead? Yerba Prima sells 12 ounces of this natural source of fiber for a very affordable price.
Many people love that it’s natural, without additives or sugar. However, you’ll find some big, gritty pieces of husk in the mix, which can make taking the supplement unpleasant.
- 40 CHEWABLE CHILD & ADULT GUMMIES (1.5 Month Serving) – Our fiber gummies for kids and adults contain chicory root, used to improve gut health, relieve constipation, reverse appetite loss, reduce cholesterol, alleviate an upset stomach, protect against blood sugar spikes and combat inflammation.
- WITH THE BENEFITS OF FIBER INULIN & Chicory Roots – Chicory root extract contains high levels of inulin, a prebiotic fiber with many health benefits that have been linked in studies to gut health and the alleviation of constipation because it slows overall digestion and makes you feel fuller for longer.
BeLive offers one more way to take your fiber in gummy form. Vegetarians and vegans will be glad to learn that these gummies don’t use any animal products.
The positive reviews highlight both the taste and the results. Many of the negative reviews focus on the taste, although a few state that the product didn’t work for them at all.
Fitness Fiber’s unflavored powder mixes with your drinks. It’s unflavored and uses six different fiber sources to get results.
Many people love the price and the ease of use. But some negative reviews note that it’s not very potent, so you might need to up the dosage to get results.
- LOSE WEIGHT AND FEEL LIGHTER WITH NATURAL FIBER — We need plenty of two types of plant fiber in order to maintain healthy digestion: soluble and insoluble. Our Super Fiber Tabs contain both types in a 60/20/20 blend of Psyllium Husk, Guar Gum, and Oat Fiber. You can’t lose weight if you’re having digestive problems. This complementary combination enhances your digestion, boosts heart health, and makes it easier for you to maintain your target weight.
- WHY CHOOSE NATURAL NUTRA AS YOUR VITAMIN SOURCE – We manufacture our supplements in a USA based, green manufacturing facility routinely inspected by the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) and registered with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). Our Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) certified facility earned the Diamond Manufacturing Award from the Natural Products Association (NPA). We guarantee potency and purity through our scientifically backed formulas and premium ingredients.
Finally, we have one more psyllium tablet option for those who want natural fiber. These vegan tablets cost you a lot, so they’re a little on the pricey side.
Many consumers find the cost worth it. The mix of fiber works well for some people. But for others, the large tablets get in the way of taking this supplement, so it’s not ideal for those who struggle to swallow pills.
Are you getting enough fiber in your diet? If you’re not sure, it might be time to find the best fiber supplement for you.
Dietary fiber intakes among adults in the United States average about 15 grams a day. However, most adults need 25 to 30 grams of fiber a day for optimum health. Doubling your fiber intake from food alone can prove difficult, so use fiber supplements to give you a boost.
While we’d love to tell you the single best fiber supplement, the truth is that it depends on your unique health needs. The fiber source that works for one person might trigger sensitivities in another. Some people may love taking fiber gummies, while others prefer a simple capsule form. We’d suggest trying less expensive options first, though, and trying the pricey ones only if those don’t work.
Which fiber supplement will you try first? Leave a comment and let us know!